Monday 24 September 2012

Leadership


Level six only

NMC domain eight

My supervisor believed that I had established a good relationship with my student and there was good communication between us. My learning contract based on the student’s experience and goals was acknowledged and she stated that the objectives set were appropriate for a first year preregistration learner. I had a clear plan of action which included the frequency of our protected time and place of meeting and this was agreed with the student.  The supervisor indicated in her report that I demonstrated my competence in assessing the student’s learning needs and I managed to plan a good learning contract.
The teaching session in my supervisor s opinion, went well, I had a well-structured lesson with the subject being introduced very well. As said in previous reports, my mentor observed that I was nervous but the lesson went well because of my skills communication and knowledge. I did not use any visual aids but I used patients’ notes, drug charts and leaflets. The student asked question during the lesson and my supervisor realised we had a good relationship because the student was comfortable in asking questions. I set up a good learning environment away from disruption, everyone was seated and I maintained the eye contact with the student.  My supervisor confirmed that I achieved the learning objective and I delivered a good lesson.
In regards to the student’s achievements I was capable to provide the evidence that the student achieved her learning objectives. During of the student’s placement I reflected on the student’s SWOT analysis and I gave continuous feedback where appropriated. I took in consideration the fact that the student is a first year pre-registration student and I tried to deliver basic information from the  medical field but of quality against her goals already set by her and university and against of the learning contract. The evidence of achieving the learning outcomes was documented as per learning contract. I demonstrated the competence required in assessing learning needs and the learning programme was effectively planned as my supervisor stated in her report.
Reflecting on this report I believe there is sufficient left to improve on my teaching skills. I understood how important it is to have a good initial interview established on the student’s background. I acknowledge that is very important to have a good and effective relationship with the student, especially a relationship based on trust in order to work together to achieve the learning objective. I understood how important is to develop a good and structured learning contract in agreement with the student and most important based on student’s needs not on my needs. I realised the importance of introducing all the objectives slowly during the student placement without overloading the student and the importance of the continuous feedback and most important to give positive feedback, constructive criticism in order to motivate and encourage the student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment