Monday 24 September 2012

Mentor/learner relationships



NMC domain one
Report (270 words)

I orientated the student to the ward and I establish a relationship with the student. Then I met with her and agreed a learning contract setting clear goals and time for achieving these goals. I worked with her as much as possible and gave her the opportunity to work with other staff nurses for her to build a relationship with the team and feel comfortable working within. I allowed her to attend and participate in multidisciplinary meetings, doctors ward round, teaching sessions organized by other colleagues and as well as I allowed her to company me to collect postoperative patients and those attending or returning for other procedures. I often speak in the clinical room or in the staff room in break time and I found out she was comfortable. I also encouraged her to feel free to discuss with me out side offset meeting times any problems she’s having or anything that she’s not comfortable with. This is to allow her to relate any fears or worries that she might have. We set appointments to meet for midway interview and end of placement evaluation. At the midway interview I was pleased that this student had met all her set goals and learning outcomes. During the evaluation she confided in me that she felt that she was a part of the team and she acknowledge and thank me for my time and patience which helped her to achieve good learning outcomes. She also commented that she admired my professional and caring attitude in the clinical environment and she stated that she will strive to also be an excellent professional nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment